None of this is a criticism of the writers of the show or GRRM, I think it was the right decision. I’m just sad about it, even though I knew it was coming! Ive tried to remain largely spoiler free except on one occasion.
1. No more Jack Gleeson. GoT has one of the best casts on television and IMO that’s what’s made it successful and even among them Gleeson managed to stand out. He managed to make everyone hate him while bringing a multi layered performance that meant you could never take your eyes off him. If you need evidence of that just watch literally any scene with him in. It’s a unbelievably huge shame that he’s retiring from acting!
2. Joffrey was an amazing character. He was unpredictable, dangerous, sadistic and incredibly arrogant. He was a cunt don’t get me wrong but he made the plot so much more interesting. There was nothing he was unwilling to do to demonstrate his own power and feed his own ego and that meant as a plot decide he was awesome.
3. It’s a huge shame we don’t get to see him develop as a character. Was he capable of change? Was it possible, with the right guidance that he could become a just and fair ruler? Pretty unlikely but it would have been equally cool to see his development go the other way and watch him become even more evil. What was he capable of?
4. There are so many relationships involving Joffrey I would have loved to have seen developed even further. Him and Margery would have been the most fascinating to watch IMO, and it’s a huge shame we didn’t get to see more of them together. Equally fascinating would have been to see how his relationship with the Lannisters may have altered. Watching Cersei try to continue to exert influence over her already uncontrollable son who now had a wife who was equally manipulative would have been really fascinating to watch.
5. An innocent man (Tyrion) is going to be punished. He does have his failings (like every character in the show/book) but I feel he is ultimately a good man who definitely doesn’t deserve what’s about to happen.
6. *SPOILERS*His death is going to lead almost directly to the death of other really interesting characters. Fair disclosure this is probably more of a personal point as it leads to the death of my favourite character. Which sucks!
7. Joffrey doesn’t deserve to die. He did atrocious things and if evil really exists he definitely was evil. But no one ever deserves to die, he should have faced the consequences of his crimes and that should have been it. At the end of the day he was a young boy, who’d been abused and neglected and taught that there were no limits to his power. By celebrating his death, you’re celebrating the murder of a very damaged young man.
8. If you’re a Stark fan (like me) you have to realise, this isn’t going to bring Ned, Robb or Catelyn back. This is in fact going to make things worse for Sansa and put her in even more danger!
9. The Starks would not have wanted this!! Okay, aside from Arya who clearly wants revenge at any cost. But Robb, Ned and Catelyn would much rather have defeated Joffrey/the Lannisters on the battlefield. This isn’t a victory for the Starks and goes against everything they believed in.
10. This is bad news for the realm. Tommen (the next in line) is a young boy incapable of ruling himself. A power struggle is undoubtedly going to follow, which can only make things worse for everyone particularly with the threats that remain (Daenerys, Stannis and the White Walkers to name just a few of the MANY). Westeros is only just beginning to emerge from the war of the five kings, the death of Joffrey can only result in political instability, more wars and ultimately more suffering for the ordinary folk of Westeros.
11. If you think this is good news you’ve missed the principle message of GRRM’s work (obviously that’s just in my opinion, I’m not a literary expert so I’m happy to admit I’m wrong about that): that violence and revenge are bad things and no good ever comes of them.
I’ve made some sweeping generalisations there about some of the Characters, themes and plots so apologies for that. Also most of these have probably already been said I just wanted to right them down! The King is dead. Long live the king.